Tuesday, February 1, 2011

RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Three Questions

What Questions does this raise for me as:

1) Human Being?
This makes so much sense to me. The system educates us in the way the collective "they" think we should learn. The smartest (or the ones who conform the best) of us use the system to our advantage. Going through my educational history I realize that I wasn't one of the best because I knew the most, but because I was able to use the system correctly. I had much more intelligent friends who refused to learn like they were told and they were penalized for it. A lesson in itself.

2) Educator?
Different aspects of this video challenge me in regards to me being an educator. I have always felt that children were being drugged to keep an orderly classroom as opposed to real need. I have met children with ADHD and I have met children who someone felt needed to be medicated. There is a major difference between these two children.
On another level I am again challenged to do something about the system. I wanted to become an educator because I love learning. I also want to inspire a love of learning in anyone who would listen. I know that children are our future an I consider it a privilege to oppose the system and change it from the inside out. Use what motivates children today! I will.

3) Scientist?
A job of a scientist is to figure things out. To test, challenge, guess, and work toward a solution to a problem, whether that problem is an actual problem or an idea. Gravity was first an idea before it became a reality.
So, the question is, how do we define this question in a way that we can solve it? How do we measure and put a number so-to-speak on education? I believe that answer to that is we pay attention to it. Don't throw money at it, don't study it to death, but pay attention to the ones who are doing it right. I didn't learn to ride a bike from someone who had failed at it! I learned my listening to someone who was successful. Along with that, we have to realize that what works for one doesn't necessarily for work for all. Not entirely scientific but practical at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment